Pink Muhly Grass is a popular ornamental grass that produces airy pink plumes in late summer. These plumes stand tall throughout winter, but turn a straw color as temperatures drop. The pink can last into winter in warmer climates. I even noticed some established Pink Muhly in Charlotte, North Carolina still pink in early February this year! Generally the pretty pink color hangs on through most of fall before browning out.
Pink Muhly Grass | 7 Steps to Better Blooms
1. Plant Muhly grass in growing zones USDA 6b to 9 for best results.
2. Plant your Pink Grass in full sun. While this ornamental grass can tolerate some shade and still bloom, full sun will provide the fastest growth and most prolific flowering.
3. Be sure your soil drains well. Pink Muhly Grass is very adaptable, but wet soil can cause root rot and heavily compacted soil slows growth which will also reduce flowering.
4. Cotton Candy Grass is very drought tolerant after establishment, but will grow and flower better when it is watered deeply on occasion in periods of heat and drought. So plan for a deep watering with a hose at the base of the plant at least a couple times per month in the summer.
5. Feed your Pink Muhly Grass slow release fertilizer in spring. If you have nutrient weak soil or haven’t seen a lot of blooms in previous years go ahead and fertilize this decorative grass again in mid to late summer for an extra boost and more pink blooms.
6. Mulching helps the soil hold in moisture so it will cut back your watering needs. This means less work for you AND better blooms! Some added bonuses are that mulching keeps competing weeds away and protects the roots in winter in cooler climates. Apply 1 to 2 inches of mulch a few inches past the root zone.
7. Trimming your Pink Muhly grass back close to the ground sometime after it goes dormant in winter or early spring allows the plant to focus on the roots and pushing out new spring growth. Better, stronger growth means more pink plumes to enjoy.
Read more on Muhly Grass Care
Browse our huge selection of Ornamental Grasses
Pink Muhly Grass
Your neighbors will beg to know what the unique, PINK grass is growing in your yard. Breath taking pink mist forms on top of Cotton Candy Pink Muhly Grass from late summer and lasts throughout fall, adding an absolutely stunning highlight to your landscape. Shop Now