For cats who enjoy soiling house plant pots either block off access to the soil or make the soil unpleasant for the cat to step in. Here are some tips for how to keep cats out of house plants.
1. Add rocks to the soil. Cats love dirt and sand under their paws, but rocks not so much. They aren’t as comfy to dig through when preparing for potty time or covering their waste.
2. Add mesh around the trunk or base of the plant over the soil or lip of the pot.
3. Cats absolutely hate tin foil so stick some in the pot over the soil or even around your plant to deter your cat from pooping in your plants! Most cats avoid tin foil like the plague so this is a great way to keep cats away from just about anything!
4. They feel the same about double sided tape. Oh the horror of the sticky on their paws! Put double sided tape on the floor around your plant.
5. Try a different litter. Your cat may dislike the lovely scented litter you chose for her. Many cats prefer unscented litter.
6. Always have one more litter box than cat if you have an outside of the litter box soiling situation going on in your home.
7. Make sure your cat’s litter box is comfortable for him. Many cats do not like covered litter boxes. Older cats may need a lower litter box that is easier for them to get in and out of.