White Cloud Muhly Grass
White Cloud Muhly Grass
Fluffy White Clouds Soften the Landscape
- Showy white plumes bloom from fall into winter
- Easy to grow
- Drought, heat, and salt tolerant!
- Perfect for mass plantings to pots
|Mature Height||3-4 Feet|
|Mature Width||2-3 Feet|
Fluffy, white clouds dance in the breeze over the finely textured green grass of the White Cloud Muhly Grass. The airy white plumes grace the landscape in fall. White Cloud is slightly bigger, more upright, and blooms a bit later than his sister, Pink Muhly Grass, but, boy, do these 2 make a stunning pair in the landscape.
White Cloud Muhly Grass is adaptable, tolerates salt, drought, heat, and humidity, and is extremely low maintenance. This gorgeous ornamental grass softens the landscape and is phenomenal in mass plantings.
Note: If you purchase this grass in fall-winter, it may be cut back for the plant’s health. If your grass is cut back, don’t worry - it will grow even happier and healthier next spring!Key Features
- Fast-growing. This grass grows 3 to 4 feet tall every year. The grass itself grows to about 3 feet with the blooms reaching close to 4. It will grow wider each year as it matures.
- Year-round interest. This perennial grass dies back in winter, fading to a tan, but maintains its shape. This adds exciting texture to the bare winter landscape. Soft, white blooms add beauty in fall and winter. The pretty green grass stands tall in spring, summer, and fall.
- Low maintenance. This native grass is tough and easy to grow. White Cloud Muhly Grass is deer, rabbit, pest, and disease resistant and tolerates poor soils, salt, drought, heat, and humidity.
- Adaptable in the landscape. White Cloud is magnificent in mass plantings, awesome as an accent, stunning as a specimen, and captivating in containers.
Pro Tip: For the best blooms plant your White Muhly Grass in full sun. While this ornamental grass can tolerate some shade and grow well, full sun will offer the best results especially in zones 6 and 7.
Plant White Cloud Muhly Grass in growing zones 6 to 10.
This grass grows best in full to part sun. Muhly Grass is adaptable to a variety of soils. Water deeply twice weekly for the first couple months. After establishing, this grass is drought tolerant and rarely needs water. Water thoroughly in extreme heat, especially in the first summer.
Fertilize with a balanced slow release fertilizer in spring for optimal growth. Add 1 to 2 inches of mulch after planting. In zone 6 we recommend adding 2-3 inches of mulch before winter to add some extra protection from extreme temperatures.
We suggest trimming back to about 4-6 inches in late winter or early spring before new growth emerges for a clean start. However, pruning is not necessary.
Muhly grass is extremely hardy. It is deer, rabbit, pest and disease resistant, as well as pollution, heat, humidity, and salt tolerant.
White Cloud Muhly Grass is adaptable in the landscape. It is great for mass plantings, lining walkways, as an accent in a mixed bed, or front and center as a specimen or focal plant. Try White Cloud in containers for an upscale, but unique look your neighbors will covet!
Also try Pink Muhly Grass.