Basjoo Banana Tree
|Soil Type||Well Drained|
|Mature Height||10-15 Feet|
|Mature Width||10-15 Feet|
A stunning tropical plant that grows in cool climates?! YES!!! We are so pleased to be able to offer the Basjoo Banana tree to our customers, especially our zone 5 and 6 friends! This ornamental banana tree will warm up your landscape instantly! It is perfect poolside whether you get to enjoy your pool year-round or only a couple months a year.
This banana tree does not produce edible fruit, but it will produce jealous glances from your neighbors when they see your tropical paradise! They will think you have plant experts on staff to keep a tropical plant from year to year through chilly winters
- Tropical beauty even in cool climates. The Basjoo banana tree grows in zones 5 to 11.
- Gorgeous, long, green leaves grow up to 4 feet long giving this tree a really exotic look!
- This stunning banana tree is perfect for creating a tropical getaway. Add a few by your pool and you will only need to walk outside to be on vacation!
- Great for containers. Just choose a pot that drains well and a good potting medium to avoid root rot.
- Low maintenance. Keeping your Basjoo banana tree happy isn't hard. Just water it and feed it and you'll be rewarded with a fast growing tropical beauty!
Pro Tip: Winterization is ideal for zones 5 and 6. Simply trim your Basjoo off at the ground after the first frost and mulch well to protect the roots.
Basjoo Bananas prefer moist, well-draining soil. Water deeply when the soil begins to dry out. Bananas thrive in full sun, but can tolerate part sun as well. Add our balanced, slow release fertilizer when planting, in early spring, and late summer for best results. When grown in containers, fertilize up to 4 times per year.
In climates where the foliage gets cold damaged, simply prune back the dead foliage to allow new growth to emerge. Mulching this plant in will help the soil retain moisture and protect the plant in winter. Zones 5 and 6 may find it best to prune this tree back all the way to the ground after the first frost and mulch heavily (about 6 inches) to protect the roots.
Basjoo Bananas are hardy in zones 5-11. Cooler climates can plant in containers and move them inside in the winter to enjoy them year after year.
Banana plants are deer resistant.