Oh, Calla Lily, how you mesmerize us with your elegant beauty! The word calla actually means beauty. Calla lilies signify magnificence and beauty, purity and faith, and gratitude. They are considered a symbol of marital bliss and true devotion and are often used in wedding bouquets or given as gifts for good fortune for marriage.
Those same pretty flowers represent sympathy. Calla lilies have amazing power as symbols of transition, rebirth, and new beginnings! Chose the right color to add even more depth to the meaning of your gift or treasured plant.
White - Purity and Innocence, Perfect for Weddings, Easter, and Sympathy
Yellow - Gratitude, Friendship and Happiness, Great for a thank you gift or just to brighten someone's day
Orange - Joy and Warmth, Send a warm hug with orange flowers! Great for Mother's day!
Burgundy - Passion and Admiration, Tell that special someone how you feel with this bold and regal calla lily!
These pretty plants aren't just a stunning trumpet-shaped flower! They have lovely vivid foliage too. Calla lilies add life and beauty to your home and even help clean the air.
Special Note: Calla lilies are not true lilies and therefore do not cause kidney failure in cats. However, they can cause mouth irritation so do not allow your pets to chew or ingest this plant.
How To Plant A Cala Lily
Plant this adaptable lily in a spot where it can receives bright, but indirect light in grow zones 9-10.
How Should I Store The Bulbs?
Remove bulbs and be sure to dry them out completely before storing. Rotting may occur if bulbs have not dried out entirely. Store in a paper bag for best results.
What Does This Shrub Symbolize?
They are considered a symbol of marital bliss and true devotion and are often used in wedding bouquets or given as gifts for good fortune for marriage.
How to Care
- Keep the soil moist but make sure the container is draining well
- Place near a window where it can receive bright, but indirect light
- Apply liquid fertilizer monthly while in flower or use a granular slow release fertilizer
- Keep away from vents and drafts (hot and cold)
- Reduce watering around November to help your plant go through dormancy properly
- Cut the leaves off at soil level once they’ve died
- Allow calla bulbs to rest in a cool, dark area during dormancy
- Repot annually in a slightly larger pot before the growing season to give your calla lilies room to grow.
*Calla lilies can be grown outdoors as perennials in tropical growing zones 9, 10, and 11 and as annuals in cooler zones. Keep in mind they will do best in a moist, well draining soil. Mulch will help keep the soil damp longer and slightly reduce watering needs.
|Mature Height||3-4 Feet|
|Mature Width||2-3 Feet|