Hot Flash Camellia
|Acidic, Well Drained
|AZ, OR, TX
The Hot Flash Camellia is a perfect shrub for smaller yards and spaces. This compact Camellia shows off with an explosion of bright red semi-double blooms from fall into winter. The shiny, deep green foliage is evergreen. The Hot Flash Camellia offers year-round intrigue for the southern landscape and beyond.
- Great color. The Hot Flash Camellia has pinkish-red blooms that add a bold pop of color to your fall and winter landscape.
- Loads of blooms. This Camellia is a prolific bloomer that can’t be ignored.
- Compact shrub. Reaching a height of about 5 feet and a width around 6 feet this Camellia is excellent for smaller landscapes. If can even be sheared and kept at the desired height for foundation plantings or hedges.
- Year-round appeal. Bright red flowers transform the fall and winter landscape while the attractive glossy leaves are a constant source of life and beauty.
- Low maintenance. Once established, the Hot Flash Camellia is drought tolerant. This Camellia also tolerates heat, humidity, salt, and is deer resistant.
The Hot Flash Camellia is very similar to the Shishi Gashira, but the flower is slightly larger and red. They have the same compact, spreading habit, but the Hot Flash tends to be faster growing and slightly more sun tolerant.
The Hot Flash Camellia can be planted any time of the year as long as adequate water is provided in summer and the ground is diggable in winter. Spring and fall are the best times to plant. This Camellia grows in sun to part shade and acidic, moist, but well-drained soil. Some shade or filtered sun is recommended in hotter climates. Water deeply at least twice weekly for the first 2 to 3 months. While camellias prefer a moist soil, they are drought tolerant once established. Mulching is a great way to keep the roots cool, soil moist, and add nutrients to the soil. We recommend using 1 to 2 inches of mulch covering the entire root zone. Feed your camellia with our slow release fertilizer in early spring. Prune after flowering if needed to remove dead and dying branches or correct aesthetic or structural issues.
The Hot Flash Camellia can be used in a variety of ways to enhance your landscape. This flowering shrub adds color when the landscape tends to be dull, making it an ideal specimen plant. The size and spreading nature of this Camellia bush and its evergreen foliage make it perfect for low hedges and borders and as a foundation plant. The Hot Flash Camellia is stunning in containers by your entryway or on your deck or patio.