Pre Emergent Weed Control - PlantingTree

Free Shipping on Orders $119+

Continue Shopping

My Cart

Your Cart is empty
Spend just [[ Shopify.formatMoney(ship_cost[ship_cost.length - 1].limit - cart.total_value) ]] more and get FREE shipping! Your order has qualified for FREE shipping!
[[ item.title ]]
[[ item.option ]]: [[ item.vtitle ]]
[[ discount ]]
[[ cart.subtotal ]]
[[ cart.shipping_cost ]]
Go To Cart

Pre Emergent Weed Control

February 8, 2022 Jill Raver
Filed in: Lawn Care

When it comes to pre-emergent weed control timing is everything, especially when using herbicides like LESCO's Dimension to control summer annual weeds.  

Rule of thumb is to get the application down before the soil temperatures are 50-55 degrees for five or more consecutive days.

This is very important because 20% of the weed seed will start germinating at that time.  The other 80% of weed seed germination, especially crabgrass, goose grass and foxtail happens when the soil temperatures reach a consistent 60-70 degrees.  By applying the product just before the soil is a consistent 50-55 degrees, you're giving it enough time to become activated by water, soak into the soil, and create the chemical shield between the seed and the soil before germination.

When To Apply Pre-Emergent For Weed Control

1. Timing

Not sure when the soil reaches 50-55 degrees?  Start with the Greencast’s Soil Temperature Map to see what your current soil temperatures are.  This map is fed by a collection of climate monitoring stations across the country.  Rain and sun exposure can influence the soil temperature and impact your timeline. It is always best to apply your pre-emergent right before the soil reaches 50-55 degrees.

2: Look for the Early Indicators

Forsythia plants are one of the first to show blooms when temperatures start reaching 50 degrees.  It's a great reminder to apply your pre-emergent before it's too late.

In addition to proper timing, there are a few other guidelines to maximize pre-emergent results:

  • Clear any debris off of the lawn either by raking or blowing to fully expose the turf and allow the application to reach the soil.
  • Follow the label exactly.  Do not over apply your pre-emergent.
  • Thoroughly water your turf or beds to activate and start the process.

Visit our store online today for more information and application rates.  Have questions? Give us a call and speak with an associate to determine what timing and pre-emergent weed control product will work best for your project.

For overseeding, be sure to check out our Lesco Transition Blend and Tall Fescue Grass Seed options.  

You May Also Like

Dwarf Encore Azaleas | The Collection

Encore Azaleas are pretty amazing. With so many different colors (from reds to purples to pinks, whites, and even bicolor blooms) to choose from you are sure to find just what you are looking for in a flowering shrub. Encore...

Read now

Dwarf Crape Myrtles

Everyone loves the crape myrtle. From its gorgeous shape to its multiple trunks to its long lasting colorful blooms this tree has all you could want in a stand out landscape tree. As many of you know these trees can...

Read now